MS’s recipe is pretty rigid when it comes to vegetables – she just uses escarole and onions and some canned tomatoes. That’s clearly not enough for me. I had some left over soup stock from a few days ago that was loaded with carrots, celery and some thin slices of chicken breast.
My recipe serves about 2-4 people
- 5 cups chicken broth (either pre-made or from a carton, I really like Blue Label Chicken broth from President’s Choice because it has extremely low sodium levels compared to Cambell’s)
- 2 Large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 tbsp canola or olive oil
- Sprinkles of parsley to your liking
- 1/2 cup spinach
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- turkey meatballs (click for recipe)
In your soup pot, get your oil to medium heat and toss in the onions till they are caramelized (4-5 minutes) and then put in your celery and carrots to let them cook for a few minutes (unless they are in your premade broth). Add the broth, and diced tomatoes (including the juice), bring to a simmer. Then add your turkey meatballs and let cook for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Once the meatballs are ready, place your spinach in the broth. Give that another 2-3 minutes and then you’re ready to serve! Don’t forget to put some parmesan on top of the soup for that extra little kick for your tangy Italian Wedding Soup!